About the Teacher

Coffee on the lake!

Coffee on the lake!

The most important thing to know about me is I love kids and my passion has always been to teach. I attended Brock University for 4 years to study child psychology and then attended Western University to complete my teaching degree. In addition to my many years of teaching experience, I have completed many courses on technology, special education, math and reading. I just finished three years of intensive training in the Orton-Gillingham approach to support students with dyslexia and reading and writing difficulties. Dyslexia runs in my family and I am passionate to develop the strongest language program possible to ensure the needs of all my students are met through a variety of different teaching approaches.

My classroom behaviour program begins with designing lessons that are engaging, motivating and at the right level to meet the needs of individual students. I believe meeting the needs of students greatly reduces any behavioural problems. I try to be very positive through verbal praise, positive notes and personal discussions with students to get to the root of the problem. I contact parents frequently when issues arise and ask that they work with me as a team. Grade Two is not only about developing your child’s academics, but also ensuring they thrive socially and emotionally.

Everyday my goal is to create a loving classroom environment where your child can explore, think critically and take risks in their learning. They will discover mistakes are how we learn. I carefully plan lessons based on the curriculum using their interests so they are often unaware they are even learning. My hope is that your child will come home happy and excited each day.

I am happily married with two children (Grace age 14, Aidan age 17) who I love and adore. I also want them to love learning and enjoy every second they are at school. I promise to make each day the best I can for your child:)

When not at school, I am a chauffeur to soccer practices, hockey games and piano lessons. I try to squeeze in a yoga class or read a book when I get free time. Our family also loves to host international students. We have had over 15 students from 6 different countries. It is amazing to learn about different cultures.

I am looking forward to a great year with your child and developing a relationship with your family. Please bookmark this blog and check often for calendars, information and learning activities I post for your child.

Sincerely,

Julie McDiarmid